About Charleston Shop
The Charleston Shop stocks a variety of handmade, hand painted items, many of which draw inspiration from the aesthetic of the Charleston artists. Some of them are bespoke, one-off items that may not be available on our online shop. Find out how to visit us and our opening dates and times here.
If you are not able to visit the Charleston Shop on site then visit the Charleston Shop Online instead. Our online store has most of our items available to purchase, either via the web or by phone. Payments can be made safely and securely with a variety of payment methods and we offer home delivery via Royal Mail.
A selection of the artists and crafts people we are pleased to showcase include:
- Madeleine Bradbury – Hand-painted lampshades, standard lamps and one-off pieces of hand-painted furniture
- Vicky Walton – (Ceramics) Vicky worked with Quentin Bell over many years and often modelled for him. Her work is to be seen in the house and garden.
- Louise Gardelle – (Ceramics) Louise lives in Aquitaine in France. Her work, which features nudes on plates, bowls, mugs, dishes, tiles etc, has an affinity with the Charleston aesthetic.
- Irena Sibrijns – (Ceramics) Irena’s bowls, jugs, square plates, tiles and vases draw inspiration from Bloomsbury with their colourful and decorative lines and circles.
- Sophie MacCarthy – (Ceramics) Sophie is the granddaughter of Desmond MacCarthy who was one of the original Bloomsbury Group. Sophie creates original jugs, plates, bowls and vases as well as tiles of Henry the Dog and The Cockerel. Some of her autumnal ceramics are available online.
- Angie Shrubsole-Brett – (Hand-painted furniture) One of our most popular makers, Angie has a waiting list for her painted tables, cupboards, frames and lazy Susans.
- Aly Van Den Berg – (Sculpture) Aly has produced three beautifully sculpted female torsos from Purbeck Blue stone.
- Cressida Bell – (Textiles) Cressida, granddaughter of Vanessa Bell, creates and designs hand silk screen-printed scarves, shawls and stationery items, many of which are specially commissioned for the Charleston Shop. Much of her work is also available online.
Duncan Grant and Vanessa Bell Fabric Designs
These designs, many of which can be seen in situ at Charleston, are exclusive and can only be purchased through the Charleston Shop or through our online shop. The fabrics are suitable for upholstery and drapery and all are also available in PVC (Oilcloth). The fabrics we currently stock are:
We also stock cushions made in all these Charleston Fabrics as well as deckchairs.
Outside: We sell plant varieties from the Charleston garden. These are grown by a local Lewes-based company. We also sell sculptures and urns made by a Brighton-based artist.